29 C
Ghana
Friday, July 23, 2021

NDC Youth Wing to demonstrate over ‘state sponsored thuggery’

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Following a revival of the #FixTheCountry campaign and the recent killings at Ejura in the Ashanti Region, the Youth Wing of the opposition National Democratic Congress has disclosed its readiness to organise a demonstration and street protest on Tuesday, 6th July, 2021.

In a letter signed by the party’s National Youth Organiser and sighted by TV Africa News, the Youth Wing explained that, the rationale for the planned protest is to demand justice for all persons who have been killed by ‘state sponsored thuggery’, as well as ‘adventurism by the police and military forces’.

George Opare Addo, who undersigned the said release further indicated that, the motivation for the exercise is to demand justice for the teeming unemployed youth in the country. According to him, the protest will seek to mount sustained pressure on government to address the current menace of unemployment which has ravaged many young people in the country.

The planned action by the concerned youth of the NDC is scheduled to happen in three respective chapters. Chapter one is expected to begin from the precincts of Madina, with others starting from the Accra business district, Osu and Lapaz respectively.

Participants in the said protest across the various chapters will be expected to later converge at the Jubilee House to present a petition to the President of the Republic, the Inspector General of Police and the Speaker of Parliament accordingly.

A copy of the letter by the NDC Youth Wing regarding the planned demonstration and street protest.

Some members of the NDC Youth Wing who spoke to the news team asserted that, the current state of affairs in the country is appalling; and hence the need for remedial measures to drive the country’s development in a more promising direction.

Citing some recent incidents of robbery, insecurity and alleged cases of corruption, the members of the youth wing also blamed the current hardship in the country on ‘failed policies’ and the ‘incompetence’ of the President, Nana Addo Akufo-Addo.

Meanwhile, the President in an earlier press release has issued a directive to the Interior Minister to probe the recent happenings at Ejura and bring the perpetrators to book. In a statement issued by the Acting Director of Communications at the Office of the President, the President urged the sector minister to conclude his findings in ten working days, and submit his recommendations accordingly.

President Akufo-Addo further expressed his commiserations to the bereaved families and wished a speedy recovery to the injured victims. So far, three lives have been lost at Ejura namely, Ibrahim Mohammed, alias ‘Kaaka’, Abdul Nasir and Murtala Mohammed.

- Advertisement -

Latest news

- Advertisement -

Related news

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here